According to Mykhailo Volynets, the Head of the Independent Trade Union of Coal Miners Ukraine (NPGU), Olena Maslova, NPGU activist was attacked on Tuesday 12 January 2016 at 23:10.
She was heading for home after work (she works at mine named after Lenin) and was attacked from behind by a tall guy. The malefactor beat Olena on her head with a heavy object and when she was down on the ground he continued to beat her. Being in a good physical shape she was audaciously defending herself.
Olena is grateful to the police officers who immediately reacted to the situation – they provided first medical aid and wrote down testimony of the incident. However after that the investigation hasn’t been advancing.
It’s important to note that a reason for the attack could be her active trade union position as Olena is the Deputy Head of the local NPGU branch and a member of the Confederation of Free Trade Unions of Ukraine’s (KVPU) Women Committee. Also Olena is a known activist to fight against drugs distribution in the district she lives in.
- The court closed the case of the protest of 94 workers of uranium mine “Ingulska” without considering
- Press conference "Do the social and economic rights of Ukrainians need to be protected?"
- Independent trade union of the PJSC "Evraz Sukha Balka" is facing pressure in the fight for labor rights
- KVPU applied to the international organizations on the draft Labor code of Ukraine
- The Free Trade Union of Railway Workers of Ukraine continues the open-ended protest (Updated)