According to Mykhailo Volynets, the Head of the Independent Trade Union of Coal Miners Ukraine (NPGU), Olena Maslova, NPGU activist was attacked on Tuesday 12 January 2016 at 23:10.
She was heading for home after work (she works at mine named after Lenin) and was attacked from behind by a tall guy. The malefactor beat Olena on her head with a heavy object and when she was down on the ground he continued to beat her. Being in a good physical shape she was audaciously defending herself.
Olena is grateful to the police officers who immediately reacted to the situation – they provided first medical aid and wrote down testimony of the incident. However after that the investigation hasn’t been advancing.
It’s important to note that a reason for the attack could be her active trade union position as Olena is the Deputy Head of the local NPGU branch and a member of the Confederation of Free Trade Unions of Ukraine’s (KVPU) Women Committee. Also Olena is a known activist to fight against drugs distribution in the district she lives in.
- The Government of Ukraine plans to close down coal mines
- Statement of the Independent Trade Union of Coal Miners of Ukraine (NPGU) as to the Beating of Trade Union Leader
- Miners’ Protests are Under Way in Lviv and Volyn Oblasts
- Miners in Chervonograd continue their protest
- Miners Block the Road with Poland